Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Things I've learned While Working in the Entertainment Industry

Of course I think of these things while driving so excuse the discombobulation of thought. I've been working in this industry for a long time and of my years I've found these things to be true and remain true to this day:

1. Talent is not needed for success but it helps. It's all about networking and for some of little faith, selling their souls. We have all seen our share of crap hit the big and small screen. How did it get there you ask? A friend/relative of a friend who can make things happen. Do not let this dissuade you from achieving your goals. It will happen you must never give up and you must never use the excuse of "so-and-so is cousins with blah blah so of course they are on staff." While this may be true in some instances, do know that true talent will always have that opportunity. Get out and get to know people. Also be flexible. I've seen many a writer not get staffed because of their preconceived ideas of how a room should be run.

2. Just because people speak to you doesn't mean they're your friend. Choose your friends wisely and always know that everyone has an ulterior motive. In fact, it is much harder to have real friends (people you trust) within the entertainment industry because everyone wants something, everyone. Do not talk about others and do not reveal your most intimate secrets if you are not willing to deal with the consequences. Now, I'm not saying "trust no one" (thank you Chris Carter), what I am saying is be smart when it comes to friends.

3. Young or Old - shortcuts and cheating ALWAYS result in failure. I know some younger folks think that in order to get ahead in this industry you must cut corners and not learn the craft (writing, acting and directing) that their youth and looks guarantee them success. That is absolutely NOT true.

4. It is NOT always best to say what's really on your mind. Not only do you hurt feelings, you hurt your chances. The people you meet today might be the people that come back into your life in a higher position! I may not like a person, but to blast them publicly is just plain stupid. The entertainment industry is unforgiving.

5. Sex, Race, and Size DO have something to do with where you end up. Now, don't take this the wrong way without allowing me to explain. Skinny and white does not equate to intelligent and successful but in this industry it helps. Racism, sexism and ageism is a given everywhere, one MUST be smart about their choices and choose their battles very carefully (did you not read point #4?). Never assume anything. Same sex, same race, same age does not guarantee acceptance. I have experienced more racism from my own race than the stereotypical opposite. I know, I was shocked as well. Always keep that in mind but do NOT allow it to become the excuse for everything.

6. Return the favors that have been bestowed upon you, don't be selfish. I have seen it time and time again where someone takes, takes and takes again only to end up wondering why no one is giving them anything anymore. Be nice to everyone...nice not stupid.

Those six points I find very vital in this industry.

Please feel free to comment or add your own words of wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peloton Changed My Life During COVID-19

My Bike was delivered on 2/1/20. It was the best decision I've made all year and the best investment in me! I've always wanted one b...