Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Things people say that drive me crazy...

As a black woman certain things drive me nuts. I often wonder if other women have the same experiences.

Recently, I was going over one of my projects with a friend of a friend. They were impressed. The first words out of his mouth...How did YOU come up with that? I immediately felt I had to defend myself by reminding him that I am indeed educated and know the ways of the world. I smiled and contained myself. I told him, "those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. And, I didn't drink the kool-aid." He looked at me with such a puzzled look. I simply told him to Google it.

At Starbucks this morning, a white woman brings her little kids in and the place is virtually empty, WHY does she make her kids sit next to me? This happens all of the time. It's as if I'm an instant nanny to watch her kids as she stands in line. So I got up and walked away. If looks could kill, she was like, how dare you leave my children unattended!!!

Recently I went walking with a black male friend of mine who is married to a white woman. We hadn't seen each other in a few years but kept in touch on facebook. After the "it's nice to finally see you in person," and before the goodbyes, he tells me, I wish I would of met you. You're the type of black woman that I could be with. This mind you has happened a few times where my black male friends feel like they need to defend their choices. I look at him and simply say, your loss.

A recent job interview, the Hispanic interviewer greets me. I sit, we exchange niceties. She looks over my resume and asks if I have a car. I told her yes. The job is in Beverly Hills. So she asked me what are I lived in. I told her, she said "oh I know that area. The rent is high over there." I looked at her and smiled and said, "luckily I bought my house when I did." The next words out of her mouth should of remained in her mind, "Oh, I didn't think blacks could buy houses in that area." It took all the strength I had NOT to blast her with my words. I simply stood up and told her, "I don't think I'd be a good fit here." I walked out.

Another famous pitch meeting with another creative executive..."I read your script and I don't understand the significance of Jim Jones." I asked, do you know who he was? And she said, "Yes, he's a rapper." I wanted to remind her that before the internet there were books.

I got my hair done recently and a woman in the shop walks up to me and asks "how many kids do you have?" I immediately look down to see if my belly fat was bulging out. I told her I have no kids. She walked away. I guess she figured we couldn't relate to each other.

I was talking to a friend and told her that I was watching #RealTimeWithBillMaher and she tells me, "you know he likes black ghetto women." I told her that the current price of tea in China as $.1o. She gave me a confused look. So I asked her what did that have to do with me watching his show? She said, "Oh, well I thought maybe that's why you were watching the show."

I love my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Peloton Changed My Life During COVID-19

My Bike was delivered on 2/1/20. It was the best decision I've made all year and the best investment in me! I've always wanted one b...