Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Friendships...my friend Marty

As I rolled into the parking structure this morning, I thought to myself, Is a person really your friend if they lie to keep up false hope? Or are they really your friend if they are brutally honest and hurt your feelings? Fortunately I have both kinds - I have my "yes" friends and my "you look fat" friends; of the two types, I prefer to limit being around both. The type of person I absolutely being around is me. I prefer positive to negative, happy to sad, confident to dependent.

I had a wonderful encounter with a new friend yesterday that reminded me of me. He reminded me of how good a person I really am and that times I let me get in the way of my own success. He made me think about a man I loved who is no longer with us, Marty. I thought about him all night. I thought about the times we had in college and the silly things we did. We thought we had forever, most young folks do. Marty was my best friend and he loved me as much as I love him. There were times where we would meet each other just to sit and be silent. Just being together was comfort enough. I remember the day I was told he was dead. I was at work. Our supervisor came up to me and asked when was the last time I'd seen Marty. I told him we spoke Saturday night and he flaked on me Sunday morning. Right when the police officer came up to us my supervisor said Marty was dead. That's all I remember because I fainted, right there in the middle of the collections department at Discover Card.

Marty was the type of friend who was honest, funny and deeply loving. How could you not fall in love with him? I did.

So today, I start out a new. No more bitching. No more worry or fear. Remembering my love Marty and his great smile has restored hope and faith into my soul.

I got this. It's my time to shine. Thanks for the reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peloton Changed My Life During COVID-19

My Bike was delivered on 2/1/20. It was the best decision I've made all year and the best investment in me! I've always wanted one b...